Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday's Top 10 - Staple Foods

One of the questions I always see asked in weight loss forums is, "Name your top 10 staple foods." Foods that are always on my shopping list. I thought I'd list it here to help others. I'm going to leave out the "fruits and vegetables," as those are givens.

My Top 10 Staple Foods

  1. Boneless, skinless chicken breast. So many things you can do with chicken. Its not just for baking or grilling. Though, I love my George Foreman Grill.

  2. Center cut pork chops. Hubby likes to get the thick ones. I eat them and count the points for it.

  3. Lean ground turkey (or beef). Try to get 93% lean. To get rid of extra fat, after frying it up, you can put it in a colander and rinse the extra fat off. Yes, I know that sounds yucky, but it does work. You can continue cooking it afterwards.

  4. 1% milk. My family won't drink skim at all. If I'm out, I'll get skim.

  5. Fat Free (or low fat) cheese. All kinds of cheeses. Slices and shredded.

  6. Quick oats. Not instant packets. Those little things never fill me up. I need two. I can make 1/2 cup of quick oats, drown it in cinnamon (which gets your metabolism going). Flavor it with fruit (preferably fresh), and splenda if necessary, and you're good to go.

  7. Raisins. I put 1/4 cup in my oatmeal. They're good for a quick snack also.

  8. Peanut Butter. OMG, I am a peanut butter addict. I can eat it everyday. I use 1 tablespoon in my oatmeal, or on my pb&j sandwiches. I realized that reduced-fat and regular peanut butter are the same amount of points, so I get whichever is cheaper.

  9. Jelly

  10. Light (reduced-calorie) bread. Two slices = 1 serving.
There are quite a few more. But, I'm limiting myself to 10.

QUESTION OF THE DAY: What are your top 10 healthy foods?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first three are always on my list too :)

Anonymous said...

1st I want to say I love your blog. I found it from Entrepreneur Life's site yesterday and have been back to read 3 times already!
I am on W.W. too, so reading your daily entries is like a day in the life for me!
You are very humorous and informative, and I really do enjoy everything on the site.
You asked further on down in a post if it was too busy, and at first it was alot, but now my eyes flow and catch everything, so no, I dont think it's too busy at all!
Please keep writing about your journey!
I have been on since Jan '07, and went off plan for 3 months, gaining 8 lbs back. But as a whole I have lost 35 lbs. It's HARD!!!! The plan isn't hard, but reminding myself daily that this is a life change is hard sometimes. Its hard to stay committed when the lbs just arent coming off that easily, or when life throws its little curve balls! Like the cheese danishes!!!
I am anonymous for now because I havent signed up for blogspot yet.
I'll be back! :-)